Tuesday, September 18, 2012

V. Performing On Stage


Now that you're ready, keep the idea of practicing regularly with your backing tracks. If you're a piano. keyboard or guitar player or a sax player, it's rather convincing to watch you play the instrument section live on your own.

Playing along with your backing tracks is no other like a karaoke version, so let's try to make it less obvious and treat it in a professional way. Mute the midi track of the instrument you're playing, so you can naturally fill in and express your style as you play your music instrument. "Treat yourself as the real performer not your midifile which normally does the backing part. As a piano or keyboard player, I usually delete this track and rather play straight on my instrument. 

But if you intend to keep the original music without muting or deleting a midi track, use a different chord progression so your playing blends well on the music.

Another good factor is, on any special gig, I occasionally add a guitar player to join my group. It's a good combination, more people, more appealing on the stage and you'll  get a rich and thicker sound as well. Whatever combination, either drums, bass or guitar, you can always think of something else.  With this setup, you can treat your group as semi-live performers.

Audience doesn't just listen, always remember that. They do watch and observe how unique is your style and performance. While the good part is, you can also inspire young musicians watching you perform on the stage.  At younger age, I've watched a lot of bands and that's how I got my first inspiration and slowly joined my first group. Keep in mind that your audience can be influenced by your talent, by starting to learn some tips or  techniques, it's natural for a person to  get motivated.  Remember, it's fun and challenging to build a cool image as it can boost your confidence even more especially when audience supports you.

"Don't pretend when you're not, it can spoil your image or even identity of the group. You can either watch videos or clips of those professional musicians and artists.  I'm pretty sure you will learn the techniques and slowly get to know the right attitude, position of each chord as you play your own instrument.

"Read more music books or other materials about various styles of playing. Slowly you will pick up and develop once you absorbed and compiled those great ideas even when you're not that talented and skillful. It's necessary to have at least basic theory in music, not only practical experience which majority does.

If you're an amateur or beginner, always remember that this is one key to improve yourself. And believe or not, I don't have a music degree nor qualification either, but I'm proud to achieve all the experiences I had for the last  25 years in the music scene.

It's true, here in Singapore, to qualify for a job or get a career in music, you should have at least the right diploma, no matter how good or smart you are, you won't get the job, trust me.   And it's funny, I remember those companies who interviewed and auditioned me in the past are either amazed or surprised, they never expected that I am actually a self-learner.  You need to have at least certificate to teach music in any reputable school.  I actually graduated with a degree but not in music so unfortunately, I still didn't passed the job requirement.  With this experience, It made me felt good.  I've tried to prove myself that I can and it was indeed challenging.

"Be simple, humble and true to yourself because people will appreciate you more this way. Of course, always play from your heart as you perform on stage, we all know money is just a second priority but keeping a low profile will eventually make you build more friends and support. I believe this is the right attitude that every musician should carry on even as you get older.  "You should always have the right value" even if you wish to retire one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment